The vulnerability was disclosed by the Shadow Brokers hacking team.
Vulnerable component: Windows
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-119 - Improper Restriction of Operations within the Bounds of a Memory Buffer
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to compromise vulnerable system.
The vulnerability exists due to a boundary error in the Smart Card authentication code in gpkcsp.dll within Windows Remote Desktop services. A remote attacker can send specially crafted packets to the vulnerable system, trigger buffer overflow and execute arbitrary code on the target system.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerability may allow an attacker to gain complete control over the affected system.
Note: this vulnerability was publicly disclosed by the Shadow Brokers hacking team along with a fully functional exploit known as "тАЬEsteemAudit".
The vulnerability is being exploited in the wild.
Latest references in media:
- Crypto-Mining Botnet Ensnares 500,000 Windows Machines [2018-02-02 12:11:23]
- Over 500,000 Windows Machines Infected with Monero Mining Software [2018-02-02 12:00:03]
- Smominru Botnet Infected Over 500,000 Windows Machines [2018-02-01 12:51:05]
- Mining Smominru botnet used NSA exploit to infect more than 526,000 systems [2018-02-01 12:50:19]
- Rapid7 warns of Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) exposure for millions of endpoints [2017-08-14 19:40:38]
- Millions of Endpoints Exposed via RDP: Report [2017-08-14 16:11:33]
- Microsoft Patches Windows XP Again As Part of June Patch Tuesday [2017-06-20 08:20:13]
- Microsoft Patches Windows XP Again As Part of June Patch Tuesday [2017-06-15 02:20:07]
- Rare XP Patches Fix Three Remaining Leaked NSA Exploits [2017-06-14 15:00:48]
- Windows XP Receives Patches for More 'Shadow Brokers' Exploits [2017-06-14 11:10:36]
- Microsoft Issues Windows XP Security Updates for Previously Ignored NSA Hacking Tools [2017-06-13 22:51:13]
Vulnerability scanning SaaS service is online 3-rd generation vulnerability scanner with scheduled assessments and vulnerability subscription. You can use service to check security of your network perimeter.