The vulnerability was used by APT28 team along with another zero-day CVE-2017-0263.
Vulnerable component: Microsoft Office
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-843 - Access of Resource Using Incompatible Type ('Type Confusion')
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the target system.
The vulnerability exists due to a type confusion error when processing EPS wiles within Microsoft Office documents. A remote unauthenticated attacker can create a specially crafted document, trick the victim into opening it and execute arbitrary code on the target system with privileges of the current victim.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may result in complete compromise of vulnerable system.
Note: this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild.
Latest references in media:
- New Silence hacking group suspected of having ties to cyber-security industry | ZDNet [2018-09-05 13:30:10]
- Malicious PDF Leads to Discovery of Adobe Reader, Windows Zero-Days [2018-05-16 14:43:31]
- A Slice of 2017 Sofacy Activity [2018-02-20 15:10:22]
- Don't Fall Victim to IP Theft and Corporate Espionage [2018-02-01 13:51:09]
- Threat Actors Quickly Adopt Effective Exploits [2018-01-17 17:01:21]
- Russian Cyberspies Are Rushing to Exploit Recent Flash 0-Day Before It Goes Cold [2017-10-20 11:02:17]
- IT threat evolution Q2 2017. Statistics [2017-08-31 02:05:00]
- Kaspersky Details APT Trends for Q2 2017 [2017-08-10 20:00:48]
- Subtitle Hack Leaves 200 Million Vulnerable to Remote Code Execution [2017-05-23 23:40:40]
- Microsoft’s New Security Update Guides Get Mixed Reviews [2017-05-11 21:01:05]
- Cisco Patches IOS XE Vulnerability Leaked in Vault 7 Dump [2017-05-10 16:10:58]
- Microsoft Addresses Zero-Day Vulnerability Ahead of Patch Tuesday [2017-05-10 12:40:21]
- Microsoft Security Updates for May 2017 Include Fixes for Four Zero-Days [2017-05-10 11:10:43]
- 3 of 4 Zero-Days Microsoft Patched Yesterday Were Used by Russian Cyberspies [2017-05-10 11:10:43]
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates for May 2017 fix Zero Days exploited by Russian APT groups [2017-05-10 08:30:21]
- Microsoft Patches Zero-Days Exploited by Russia-Linked Hackers [2017-05-10 06:10:23]
- It's 2017 and Windows PCs are being owned by EPS files, webpages [2017-05-10 00:10:01]
- Microsoft fixes 55 flaws, 3 of them exploited by Russian cyberspies [2017-05-09 23:50:59]
- Microsoft fixes 55 vulnerabilities, 3 exploited by Russian cyberspies [2017-05-09 23:30:02]
- Microsoft Plugs Three Zero Day Holes as Part of May Patch Tuesday [2017-05-09 23:20:24]
- EPS Processing Zero-Days Exploited by Multiple Threat Actors [2017-05-09 19:20:17]
Vulnerability scanning SaaS service is online 3-rd generation vulnerability scanner with scheduled assessments and vulnerability subscription. You can use service to check security of your network perimeter.