The vulnerability was used by Turla and an unknown financially motivated actor.
Vulnerable component: Microsoft Office
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-416 - Use After Free
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the target system.
The vulnerability exists due to a use-after-free error when processing EPS images within Microsoft Office files. A remote attacker can create a specially crafted Office file with malicious EPS image, trick the victim into opening it and execute arbitrary code on the target system with privileges of the current user.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to compromise vulnerable system.
Note: this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild.
Latest references in media:
- Patchwork Cyberspies Update the Badnews Backdoor [2018-03-13 04:27:21]
- Don't Fall Victim to IP Theft and Corporate Espionage [2018-02-01 13:51:09]
- Russian Cyberspies Are Rushing to Exploit Recent Flash 0-Day Before It Goes Cold [2017-10-20 11:02:17]
- IT threat evolution Q2 2017. Statistics [2017-08-31 02:05:00]
- Kaspersky Details APT Trends for Q2 2017 [2017-08-10 20:00:48]
- Updates to Sofacy, Turla Highlight 2017 Q2 APT Activity [2017-08-08 22:40:27]
- Subtitle Hack Leaves 200 Million Vulnerable to Remote Code Execution [2017-05-23 23:40:40]
- Microsoft’s New Security Update Guides Get Mixed Reviews [2017-05-11 21:01:05]
- Cisco Patches IOS XE Vulnerability Leaked in Vault 7 Dump [2017-05-10 16:10:58]
- May 2017 – Microsoft Patch Tuesday [2017-05-10 14:10:12]
- Microsoft Addresses Zero-Day Vulnerability Ahead of Patch Tuesday [2017-05-10 12:40:21]
- No Let Up for Admins as Microsoft Patches 56 Vulnerabilities [2017-05-10 12:20:09]
- Microsoft Security Updates for May 2017 Include Fixes for Four Zero-Days [2017-05-10 11:10:43]
- 3 of 4 Zero-Days Microsoft Patched Yesterday Were Used by Russian Cyberspies [2017-05-10 11:10:43]
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday updates for May 2017 fix Zero Days exploited by Russian APT groups [2017-05-10 08:30:21]
- Microsoft Patches Zero-Days Exploited by Russia-Linked Hackers [2017-05-10 06:10:23]
- It's 2017 and Windows PCs are being owned by EPS files, webpages [2017-05-10 00:10:01]
- Microsoft fixes 55 flaws, 3 of them exploited by Russian cyberspies [2017-05-09 23:50:59]
- Microsoft fixes 55 vulnerabilities, 3 exploited by Russian cyberspies [2017-05-09 23:30:02]
- Microsoft Plugs Three Zero Day Holes as Part of May Patch Tuesday [2017-05-09 23:20:24]
- Microsoft Security Updates for May 2017 Include Fixes for Three Zero-Days [2017-05-09 22:40:34]
- EPS Processing Zero-Days Exploited by Multiple Threat Actors [2017-05-09 19:20:17]
Vulnerability scanning SaaS service is online 3-rd generation vulnerability scanner with scheduled assessments and vulnerability subscription. You can use service to check security of your network perimeter.