Revealed during source code review by the vendor.
Vulnerable component: Juniper ScreenOS
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-287 - Improper Authentication
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to bypass authentication on the target system.
The weakness exists due to presence of backdoor in Juniper ScreenOS code. A remote attacker can enter a password "<<< %s(un='%s') = %u" during a SSH or TELNET session and obtain administrative access to the device.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerability results in unauthorized access to the vulnerable system.
Note: the vulnerability was being actively exploited.
Latest references in media:
- Cisco removed its seventh backdoor account this year, and that's a good thing | ZDNet [2018-11-07 22:10:08]
- IoT Backdoor - Botnet Bypasses Firewall Using Backdoor Exploits [2018-02-17 07:51:12]
- DoubleDoor Botnet Chains Exploits to Bypass Firewalls [2018-02-14 17:33:01]
- DoubleDoor, a new IoT Botnet bypasses firewall using two backdoor┬аexploits [2018-02-14 11:11:11]
- 80 Sony IP camera models come with backdoors [2016-12-07 13:45:55]
- Researchers Find Fresh Fodder for IoT Attack Cannons [2016-12-06 17:08:48]
- Backdoor Found in 80 Sony Surveillance Camera Models [2016-12-06 13:26:38]
- Backdoor Found in Many Sony Security Cameras [2016-12-06 11:23:59]
Vulnerability scanning SaaS service is online 3-rd generation vulnerability scanner with scheduled assessments and vulnerability subscription. You can use service to check security of your network perimeter.