The exploit code was revealed after Hacking Team data leak. The exploit was used against Japanese organizations.
The vulnerability was reported by Dhanesh Kizhakkinan of FireEye as well as Peter Pi of TrendMicro.
Exploit kits: Angler EK - 2015-07-11 Neutrino - 2015-07-13 Nuclear Pack - 2015-07-14 RIG - 2015-07-14 Magnitude - 2015-07-15 NullHole - 2015-07-22 Spartan - 2015-09-11
Vulnerable component: Adobe Flash Player
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-119 - Improper Restriction of Operations within the Bounds of a Memory Buffer
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the target system.
The weakness exists due to use-after-free error in the ActionScript 3 opaqueBackground class. A remote attacker can create a specially crafted Web site, trick the victim into visiting it, trigger memory corruption and execute arbitrary code with privileges of the current user.
Successful exploitation results in arbitrary code execution on the vulnerable system.
Note: the vulnerability was being actively exploited.
Known APT campaigns:
The campaign mainly targeted Taiwanese organizations and supposedly has Chinese origin.
- Adobe Flash - opaqueBackground Use-After-Free (Metasploit) [Exploit-DB]
Latest references in media:
- USA Is the Top Country for Hosting Malicious Domains According to Report [2018-09-05 16:20:30]
- USA Is the Top Country for Hosting Malicious Domains, Research Shows [2018-09-05 16:10:23]
- USA Is the Top Country for Hosting Malicious Domains, Research [2018-09-05 16:00:22]
- Exploiting Is My BusinessтАжand Business Is Good [2018-07-25 16:25:00]
- Wikileaks: CIA tasked Raytheon for analyzing TTPs used by threat actors in the wild [2017-07-19 19:04:50]
- WikiLeaks Reveals CIA Teams Up With Tech Companies to Collect Ideas For Malware Development [2017-07-19 13:10:43]
- Cyber Threat Intelligence Shows Majority of Cybercrime is NOT Sophisticated [2017-01-20 17:28:50]
- Cybercrime News Results In Cybercrime Blues [2017-01-19 00:34:40]
- New campaign leverages RIG Exploit kit to deliver the Cerber Ransomware [2017-01-17 05:17:42]
- New RIG Campaign Distributes Cerber Ransomware [2017-01-17 05:12:35]
- Security Alert: RIG EK Exploits Outdated Popular Apps, Spreads Cerber Ransomware [2017-01-15 15:40:13]
- New Terror Exploit Kit Emerges [2017-01-10 18:01:32]
- New, Poorly-Made Terror Exploit Kit Drops Monero Cryptocurrency Miner [2017-01-10 13:39:29]
- China-Linked DragonOK APT Group continues updating tools and tactics [2017-01-07 10:10:45]
- China-Linked "DragonOK" Group Expands Operations [2017-01-06 18:48:44]
- Malware Tied to China Spotted Attacking Taiwanese Government Networks [2016-12-01 23:30:21]
Vulnerability scanning SaaS service is online 3-rd generation vulnerability scanner with scheduled assessments and vulnerability subscription. You can use service to check security of your network perimeter.