This vulnerability was discovered by Alexander Sotirov of Determina and was rediscovered in the wild by McAfee.
Vulnerable component: Windows
CVSSv3 score: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:R/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
CWE-ID: CWE-119 - Improper Restriction of Operations within the Bounds of a Memory Buffer
The vulnerability allows a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the target system.
The vulnerability exists due to boundary error when handling cursor, animated cursor, and icon formats. A remote attacker can create a specially crafted malicious cursor or icon file, cause buffer overflow and execute arbitrary code on vulnerable system.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerability results in compromise of vulnerable system.
Note: this vulnerability is being actively exploited.
- Microsoft Windows - Animated Cursor '.ani' Stack Overflow [Exploit-DB]
- Microsoft Windows - GDI Privilege Escalation (MS07-017) (1) [Exploit-DB]
- Microsoft Windows - Animated Cursor '.ani' Local Overflow [Exploit-DB]
- Microsoft Windows - GDI Privilege Escalation (MS07-017) (2) [Exploit-DB]
- Microsoft Windows - Animated Cursor Stack Overflow [Exploit-DB]